The Czech Science Foundation (GA CR) signed in May 2013 in Berlin, on the occasion of GRC Summit, Memorandum of Understanding of Scientific Coopearation in basic research with the Austrian Agency Fonds zur Förderung der wissenschaftlichen Forschung (FWF). The aim of this Memorandum is to establish and increase cooperation between researchers and institutions of these two countries in research and development area and enable the exchange of information and techniques and the use of specialized equipment available in the countries involved.
This Czech Austrian bilateral cooperation constitutes an entirely new group of grant projects where the evaluation process is dealt based on a Lead Agency principle. Joint research projects should combine complementary expertise of the project partners, the project parts should be closely integrated and there should be relevant scientific input from both sides. The joint research proposal is submitted to one funding agency only and must be prepared in accordance with the formal guidelines of the Lead Agency. The Lead Agency is in charge of carrying out the peer review procedure according to its standard evaluation procedures.
GA CR and FWF have agreed that in the first two to three years the Austrian partner will be in the role of the Lead Agency. The first public tender based on the Lead Agency principle was launched by the end of the year 2013.
- bilateral research projects (up to 3 years)
- open to basic research from all scientific disciplines, including the humanities
- each national research team financed by its national agency
- budgets reflect the bilateral cooperation (travel, visits, …)
- Lead Agency procedure (known to work well in other cases)
- proposal submission to only one national agency (first three years to FWF)
- international peer review process
- funding decision by FWF as a basis for GA CR’s decision
- nation-specific financial (accounting) rules and procedures apply
The contact person at the Austrian Agency Fonds zur Förderung der wissenschaftlichen Forschung is
- Dr. Christoph Bärenreuther
- tel.: +43 (0)1 / 505 67 40 – 8702
- E-mail: christoph.baerenreuter(at)fwf.ac.at