The Czech Science Foundation (also known as the Grant Agency of the Czech Republic, GA CR) was established in 1993 as the main independent public organization with the aim to support basic research in the Czech Republic and promote international collaboration of researchers and research teams on the bilateral and multilateral levels.
On the basis of calls for proposals, the Czech Science Foundation provides financial support for experienced as well as young and early-stage researchers. Moreover, it funds bilateral projects together with projects carried out within international research programmes. The subject of a project proposal is determined by the applicant (bottom-up principle). Around 2,500 project proposals are submitted to the GA CR every year, of which more than one-fourth obtain financial support. The GA CR invites proposals in all disciplines of basic research.
The structure of support is divided into five domains: technical sciences, physical sciences, medical and biological sciences, social sciences and humanities, and agricultural and biological-environmental sciences.
Basic aims of the Czech Science Foundation are:
- to provide financial support in R&D for research projects in basic research with a high potential for achieving world class results
- to promote and enhance international scientific cooperation in basic research
- to help create attractive conditions for the professional development of young and early-stage researchers
- to ensure that entrusted funds are used as effectively as possible to the benefit of the Czech and international scientific community
- to create, within the existing laws, the best possible conditions for the administration of project proposals and awarded projects
- to promote research through funding, based on the peer review evaluation of submitted proposals, science-policy expertise and global cooperation
- to raise the public understanding of science and to enhance the esteem and social status of scientific research in the society
- to develop high-quality research environments and to improve scientific career opportunities
- to support multi- and interdisciplinary research projects and communication
- to represent Czech science among international research organizations and in national and international scientific bodies
- to cooperate and support international scientific co-operation on research projects through agreements with research organizations all over the world
The Czech Science Foundation is administered by a Presidium appointed by the Government of the Czech Republic, which is assisted by Discipline Committees. The work of the GA CR is monitored by an independent Supervisory Board appointed by the Czech Parliament. All organizational and administrative work is provided by the GA CR Office.