The Czech Science Foundation (GACR) is an independent public organisation supporting basic research throughout all scientific fields from public funds. GACR is the only institution in the Czech Republic, which provides public funding exclusively for basic research projects.
Since its establishment in 1993, GACR has provided financial support for both experienced as well as young and early-stage researchers on the basis of calls for proposals. GACR´s activity is regulated by Act. No. 130/2002 Coll., on Support of Research, Experimental Development and Innovation from public funds and amending certain related laws. GACR independently manages targeted and institutional resources allocated directly from the state budget.
Main GACR objectives:
- To provide financial support in research and development for research projects in basic research with a high potential for achieving world class results.
- To promote and further expand international scientific cooperation in basic research
- To help create attractive conditions for the professional development of young and early-stage researchers.
- To ensure that the entrusted state funds are used most effectively for the benefit of the Czech scientific com¬munity.
- To create the best possible conditions for applicants and researchers during administration of applications and awarded projects.